2014 Jazz Competition
March 20-22, 2014 – Urbana-Champaign, Illinois
$1,500 in cash and/or merchandise
$1,000 in cash and/or merchandise
$750 in cash and/or merchandise
The 1st Prize winner will be featured on a winner’s recital at the 2014 NASA Biennial Conference.
- Contestants must be between 19 and 26 years of age on March 19, 2014 (born between March 21, 1987 and March 20, 1995).
- All contestants must be current members of the North American Saxophone Alliance (NASA) as of March 19, 2014.
- Contestants who are not current members of NASA must join online at: www.saxalliance.org/joinnasa.html (membership rates: Student = $25 Professional = $35).
- 1st Prize winners from previous NASA Jazz Competitions may not enter.
II. Application guidelines – Preliminary Round
- All application materials will be submitted online at the NASA website (www.saxalliance.org). Submit your competition application materials here (you must a current NASA member and logged into your account). The deadline for submission of applications, recordings and fees is: December 14, 2013.
- In addition to any necessary NASA membership fees, contestants must submit a competition entry fee of $50. All payments must be made on the NASA website (www.saxalliance.org) via PAYPAL by December 14, 2013.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- There are three rounds of the NASA Jazz Competition; one recorded Preliminary Round, one live Semi-Final Round, and one live Final Round. The deadline for the recorded Preliminary Round is December 14, 2013. The live Final Round will be held in Urbana-Champaign, Illinois, March 20-22, 2014.
- Preliminary Round. The preliminary round will consist of a recorded audition with audio. The recording must be submitted with the initial application materials by the deadline, December 14, 2013. Recordings must be submitted in MP3 format.
- Judges: Todd DelGiudice, Julian Sutherland, and Jarrard Harris
Preliminary Round Repertoire Guidelines: The use of live rhythm section accompaniment is required. No play-along recordings will be allowed. The recording should contain three selections in the following order:
- Lazy Bird by John Coltrane – Include a minimum of three choruses of improvisation. Tempo between quarter-note = mm. 170-200
- A jazz ballad of your choice that includes a minimum of one chorus of ballad-tempo improvisation. Rhythm section must maintain ballad tempo throughout entire performance. Tempo between quarter-note = mm. 50 – 60
- An up-tempo composition of your choice in any jazz style. Minimum tempo of quarter-note = mm. 240
- Twelve saxophonists will be invited to perform in the semi-final round. The semi-finals will be held March 20-22, 2014 on the campus of the University of Illinois, in Urbana-Champaign, IL, in conjunction with the 2014 North American Saxophone Alliance Biennial Conference. A professional rhythm section for rehearsals and performances will be provided by NASA. Each Semi-finalist will be allowed to perform a new three-selection, 20-minute program that includes the following styles; jazz ballad, medium tempo swing, and up-tempo swing or jazz-latin. Semi-Final round repertoire may not duplicate repertoire from the preliminary round. Tempo requirements are the same as in the preliminary round. Performance of original compositions is not permitted.
- Judges (group A): Randy Hamm, Will Campbell, and Damani Phillips
- Judges (group B): Diego Rivera, Ron Bridgewater, and Idit Shner
- 2014 Jazz Semi Finalists
- Five saxophonists will be invited to perform in the final round. A professional rhythm section for rehearsals and performances will be provided by NASA. Each finalist will be allowed to perform a new, four-selection, 30-minute program that includes the following styles; jazz ballad, medium tempo swing, up-tempo swing and jazz-latin. Final round repertoire may not duplicate repertoire from the semi-final round. Tempo requirements are the same as in the preliminary round. Performance of original compositions is not permitted.
- Judges: Chip McNeill, Tom Walsh, Scott Burns, Andrew Bishop, Tim Ishii, and Shannon LeClaire
V. General Guidelines
- The contestant’s birth date must be verified at the competition site with the contestant’s driver’s license, birth certificate, or passport. Any contestant who does not show proof of age, or is older than 26 years of age as of March 19, 2014, will be disqualified.
- A Winner’s Recital will feature the 1st Prize Winner in the NASA Jazz Competition. It will be scheduled during the North American Saxophone Alliance Biennial Conference in Urbana-Champaign, IL, March 20-22, 2014.
- All fees and dues are non-refundable.
- All expenses, including lodging and transportation to and from the competition, are the sole responsibility of the contestants.
- A minimum of 15 entries is required to hold this competition. Entry fees will be refunded if the competition is cancelled.
- Judging – Professional musicians will judge both the preliminary audition recordings and the live round performances. Finalists will be evaluated solely on their live round performance.
- Contestants may perform on soprano, alto, tenor, baritone, or any combination of these saxophones during both the preliminary and final rounds.
- Finalists will be provided with a professional rhythm section by NASA. Advance rehearsal time will be scheduled prior to the finals performance.
- Contestants may also enter the NASA Solo Competition, but they must submit a separate application and separate entry fee.
- Questions may be directed to the Jazz Competition Coordinator, Gene Smith ( firstname.lastname@example.org ).
VI. Schedule (tentative)
- Thursday, March 20, 2014:
- 2:00PM-5:00PM – Rehearsal for Rhythm Section A Jazz Semi-Finalists in Smith 25
- 6:00PM-9:00PM – Rehearsal for Rhythm Section B Jazz Semi-Finalists in Smith 25
- Friday, March 21, 2014:
- 9:00AM-12:00PM – Rhythm Section A Jazz Semi-Finals in Harding Band Building, room 141
- 1:00PM-4:00PM – Rhythm Section B Jazz Semi-Finals in Harding Band Building, room 141
- Saturday, March 22, 2014:
- 8:00AM-11:00AM – Rehearsals for College Jazz Finalists in Harding Band Building, room 141
- 12:00PM-3:15PM – Collegiate Jazz Finals in Harding Band Building, room 141
- 4:30PM-5:30PM – Winners Concert in KCPA Stage 5